Floral 03

Edna Johnson

September 2, 2018


In Loving Memory


Edna Johnson


Edna was the daughter of Lillian Marion Curtis Harris and John Harris. She had a beloved brother Clyde Curtis. She was born August 12, 1936 in New York City. Edna spent her youth in the Bronx. She graduated from Food Trades High School. Edna was a sales girl for Bloomingdales for a time.

Edna was married for a short time to Ramon “Cookie” Johnson. They had one daughter, Sheila Ann Johnson.

Lillian and John left the Bronx and moved to Amityville. Edna and Sheila joined them. Edna was always surrounded by a loving extended family. They loved “Little Edna” and she adored them. Her mother Lillian, who was the matriarch of the family was devoted to her and Edna idolized her mother. Edna had a perpetual smile on her face and a rip roaring laugh. She was a jolly person and full of fun. Her home was always filled with relatives and there was always a party going on. Abundant food was always on the table, and music was always playing. Edna loved this. She loved music. She was a gifted dancer, as was her brother Clyde. At every gathering the family would make them do a dance performance and they would give them spending change. They used to call them the little Black Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. Edna and her cousin Barbara had a heartthrob, Johnny Mathis. When his records were played they would scream and yell and literally pass out on the floor.

Edna’s hobbies were knitting, crocheting, baking cakes and making ice cream sodas.

Edna could never save any money because she gave away every penny she had. She was a generous soul. Edna was a devout Catholic. She attended mass regularly and she lit candles for the dearly departed ones and she brought home holy water to sprinkle around the house. She lived by the guiding principle John 15:12., “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you”.

Edna enjoyed Sheila’s school days. She was very proud of Sheila’s academic achievement. The house was always full of Sheila’s friends and she loved them being around. Morning, noon and night, they were welcome. She made sure they were fed. Over the years friend’s would need to leave their homes for various reasons and Lillian would always let them stay at 25 Spruce Road. They became part of the family and Edna became their doting parent.

Over the years Edna spent her days visiting the family “down the house”. Marion “MaMa” and Delores “Auntie” were like her sisters. Larry, Cully, Marilyn and Kim were her little brothers and sisters. She loved “Mont, Mont” when he came along.

One day something very special happened in Edna’s life. Her granddaughter “Thandi” was born. They were like two peas in a pod. They were inseparable. They had so much fun together. Flour was all over the place during their cake making days. She was also very proud of Thandiwe’s academic achievement.

Edna was ill and spent time in various hospitals and nursing homes. She never complained. She resided at the Mayfair Care Center for the past eight years. Edna made many friends. She was the favorite of the nursing staff and aides. She kept them laughing. Whenever Sheila came through the main door the staff would say, “There is Ms. Edna’ daughter Sheila.” Whenever Thandiwe came through the main door the staff would say “There goes Ms. Edna’s granddaughter Thandiwe”. Then they would come in the room and tell us all the details of our lives, which they knew because we were all Edna talked about. The visits with Edna were party time. First Johnny Mathis would be played and she would just swoon and rock back and forth. Then came the Bruno Mars playlist. She would be clapping her hands and popping her finger. Edna would be twisting her body and rocking her head back and forth. I would be on the floor

dancing. The staff would come in the room and just holler! There was a sure ‘nuff party going in that hospital room.

Edna was visited by her family often, and in her final days. She even got to see her nephew “Peanut” who she had not seen in decades. She was not alone at the end.

Now we are certain she is up in heaven and there is an awesome party going on. Auntie is running around screaming, “Look at our children all grown up. Ain’t they something. Those twins are beyond cute.” We know she would cussing up a storm, (yes even up in heaven), but we can’t say those words that she was famous for in church. Mommy has reunited with her dancing partner Clyde and they are tearing up heaven. They even have the angels dancing. All is well my beloved, all is well.

Edna is survived by her daughter Sheila Ann Johnson, her granddaughter Thandiwe Abeni Weza, her grandson Onaje Weza, her great granddaughter Najeaa Weza, her niece Lillian “Penny” Fogan, her nephews Pete “Peanut” Fogan and Jon Paul Curtis. She leaves behind many cousins and the family “down the house”, Kim and Phillip Tutt, Joan Hill, Lamont and Crystal Jarman and the precious twins, Luke and Amara. She never got to meet them but she enjoyed looking at their pictures. She would just smile.

Edna was predeceased by her mother Lilian Harris, her father John Harris and her beloved brother Clyde Curtis.

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Edna Johnson, please visit our floral store.


Memorial Service
September 22, 2018

3:00 PM
Living Hope Fellowship Baptist Church
900 Old Sunrise Hywy
Massapegua, NY 11758

© 2020 J. F. Goode Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA